Social Icons

2/02/2007

One little word.


Working my way through Ali Edwards' aeZine challenges. I just discovered this gem of a newsletter (totally inspiring!!), so I'm a little behind... January 3rd's challenge was to identify one word to focus on for the coming year:

Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2007? It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you.

This week your challenge is to create something, anything, that celebrates your chosen word for 2007. Maybe a layout. Maybe a blog posting or a journal entry or a simple post-it note that you put somewhere you can see it each day. Make sure to journal about why you chose your word and what it means for you - the more you let yourself explore the more benefit you will receive in the end.


After some thought, I have decided that my word for 2007 is more. At first, it seems like an odd choice; a lot of people these days seem to still subscribe to the "less-is-more" philosophy that first appeared as a backlash against the excesses of the 1980's. But really, when I thought about what I want for 2007, more just seemed like the perfect fit... In 2007, I want:
  • More time with my family. I need to remind myself what is truly most important to me in life, and adjust my priorities accordingly. Spend less time behind the camera and more time actively participating. Live life, not just document it. And after all, I have to make memories before I can scrapbook them, right? ;)
  • More confidence. Why do I sell myself short so much? Why do I have such a hard time believing compliments, denying them inside even as I graciously accept them on the outside? Who am I, really? What do I even want out of life? Good questions to ponder over the next year and a half; hopefully I will enter my 30's with a measure more clarity and confidence than I have had in my 20's.
  • More peace. I've gotten a good start on this one already, going to church every Sunday, and using Jesus Take the Wheel (Carrie Underwood) as the ringtone on my cell phone to remind me to pray and keep God in my daily life.
  • More organization. Starting with my studio, of course. (Yes I will post pictures when I'm done.) The kitchen and the garage are minor disaster areas, and all of our closets have a lot of wasted space. And eventually, I'm going to have to do something about all that junk in the guest room...!
  • More time with Jennifer. Life just hasn't been the same since she moved, though we talk daily and our friendship is just as strong as ever. Miss her so much.
  • More weight loss. I'm down almost 50 pounds since April 2005, but I haven't done much lately to further this progress. Need to get back on track to better health, which will also help my confidence!
  • More sleep. I'm still a night owl - but lately I've definitely felt the effects more strongly of burning the candle at both ends. Chris and I have been trying to get to bed earlier, but it's so hard to resist the temptation to stay up just a little bit longer... He loves his video games, and I love to scrapbook, and most of that fun stuff is done after Hannah goes to bed at nine. Of course, being the night person that I am, a lot of times I feel like my brain doesn't even wake up to its full creative potential until 10pm! Still, I think an earlier bedtime could do a world of good: I think Hannah would benefit from a more enthusiastic Mommy, and I know my body would respond better to my diet if I got more rest.

So that's my list. Just about the only thing I don't want (or need) this year is more stuff!
Here's to a great new year full of possibility!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing word! Wishing you MORE of all that you desire this year! (We're hoping for a new baby this year too ... hoping that happens for you and your family at just the right time!)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let's have a conversation!